- University of Melbourne, Australia (LL.B., 1984)
- University of Melbourne, Australia (B.A.)
- One of the firm's premier trial lawyers who has extensive experience in complex tort, personal injury and large loss cases involving claims of products liability, premises liability, government and public entity defense, construction site accidents and trucking/motor carrier accidents
- Specializes in the defense of claims of traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Routinely represents retail corporations of all sizes in a wide variety of cases including wrongful death, serious personal injuries, traumatic brain injury (TBI), loss prevention and retail theft cases, and injuries caused by the criminal acts of third parties, in addition to prosecuting and defending contractual indemnity claims and breach of retail lease contract claims
- Practiced law in his native Australia for four and one half years as a criminal defense attorney with one of the country's leading trial lawyers, Frank Galbally, and had the opportunity to defend clients charged with offenses ranging from murder and other serious felonies to misdemeanor battery and miscellaneous drug charges
- Substantial trial experience including approximately 40 jury trials overall, and 14 jury trials and two binding arbitrations over the past nine years involving cases ranging from a wrongful death product liability suit; multiple retail store negligence cases; a retail theft battery and false imprisonment case; design defect and failure to warn; and six cases involving traumatic brain injuries, PTSD and related cognitive deficits. His jury trial experience includes defending a tortious business interference case, as well as defending injury claims at trial involving a permanent vegetative state, fibromyalgia and TMJ syndrome. In the bifurcated phase of the wrongful death product liability trial, he successfully defensed the claim against his client of successor liability
- Tried through to jury verdict four trials involving claims of TBI
- Defends manufacturers, retailers and distributors of commercial and consumer products in cases involving claims of strict product liability, design defect, manufacturing defect, failure to warn and breach of warranty
- Continues to represent trucking companies and motor carriers in catastrophic accidents and regulatory compliance matters.
- Represents restaurants and hospitality industry clients in a wide variety of litigation matters
- Experience in defending toxic exposure cases
Advice & Counsel
- Provides risk management and strategic advice and counsel to clients on litigation avoidance and Medicare Reimbursement Claims
- Has the highest available rating in Legal Ability and Ethics from Martindale-Hubbell
- Member of the State Bar of California, the Law Institute of Victoria, Australia, the Defense Research Institute (DRI), the National Retail Federation (NRF), the Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS), Advance Australia, the Melbourne Cricket Club, The Harmonie Group, the National Retail & Restaurant Defense Association (NRRDA) and the Council of Litigation Management (CLM)
- Burnham Brown wins at trial for Dollar Tree!
- Burnham Brown wins dismissal of major case on behalf of Dollar Tree Stores!
- Southern California Jury Hits Plaintiff With 60% Fault For Accident And Rejects Brain Damage Claim
- Trial Court's Finding that Biomechanical Expert Testimony was Required to Present a Low-Impact Defense was "Error As a Matter of Law"
- Client Alert
- Client Alert: Tort Damages Law Update
- California Welcomes Fast And Cost-Effective Jury Trials
- Public Entity Liability Case Law Update
- (View All)
- And The Defense Wins
- DRI members Paul Caleo and Katrina Romero of Burnham Brown win a summary judgment motion in the matter entitled Princess Pope v. Essex Property Trust
- Burnham Brown Partner, Paul Caleo, Published on Corporate Compliance Insights
- Managing the Risk of Medicare Secondary Payer Reimbursement Claims in Tort Liability Cases
- Latest California Supreme Court Cases on Liability of Bar & Restaurant Owners When Patrons are Injured by Criminals
- (View All)
Reported Trial Results
- Paul Caleo obtained a judgment of non-suit pursuant to Cal. Code Civ. Proc. § 581c for a national retailer on February 14, 2013 in Los Angeles Superior Court
- Paul Caleo and Aimee Hamoy-Perera successfully defended a traumatic brain injury case with claimed damages in excess of $3 million in a four week jury trial in Sonoma County
- Burnham Brown Partners, Paul Caleo and Robert M. Bodzin, Facilitate Recovery of $1,950,000 on Contractual Indemnity Claim
- Paul Caleo obtained a favorable verdict in Napa County for a national retailer in a falling fence panel case with claimed damages in excess of $200,000 when the jury awarded a total of $5275.00 that was later reduced to $2305.00 based on a CCP 998 offer.
- Burnham Brown attorney, Paul Caleo, obtained a defense verdict in Santa Clara County for a national retailer in an assault and battery/false imprisonment case of a suspected shoplifter with claimed damages in excess of $1 million.
- (View All)