Rohit A. Sabnis
- University of Minnesota (J.D., 2001)
- University of California at San Diego (B.S. in Biochemistry)
Rohit A. Sabnis
Rohit Sabnis is a partner in Burnham Brown’s Oakland office where he focuses his legal practice on civil litigation. Mr. Sabnis has extensive experience in environmental and toxic torts defense, products liability defense, catastrophic personal injury and commercial disputes. He has successfully handled complex matters involving single and multiple plaintiffs, coordinated proceedings and class actions. Mr. Sabnis has served as lead trial counsel for a wide variety of clients from small privately held companies to national corporations and government agencies.
Prior to joining Burnham Brown, Mr. Sabnis was an Assistant Hennepin County Attorney (Minneapolis). He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry & Cell Biology from the University of California, San Diego and his law degree from the University of Minnesota Law School.
A few examples of Mr. Sabnis' representations include:
- Defended owner of community water system against common law and statutory nuisance claims based on an alleged failure to supply groundwater in compliance with California’s Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Representation of potentially responsible party in Imminent and Substantial Endangerment proceeding initiated by California's Department of Toxic Substances Control involving release of hazardous substances from dry cleaner.
- Representation of property owner in wastewater treatment facility closure.
- Defense of various entities in California Proposition 65 enforcement actions involving failure to warn consumers of alleged exposure to phthalates, BPA and other listed chemicals. Also provides advice and counsel to clients on compliance issues.
- Defense of textile manufacturer against claim of fiber ingredient mislabeling under the California Organic Products Act.
- Defense of waste transportation hauler in Cartwright Act antitrust litigation involving California's Architectural Paint Recovery Act.
- Advice and counsel to national property owner with regard to pre-litigation claim of alleged lead exposure from drinking water.
- Defense of trade organization in talc and ovarian cancer litigation asserting claims of civil conspiracy.
- Defense of numerous product manufacturers, tollers, distributors, retailers, premise owners and in personal injury claims involving occupational and environmental exposure to asbestos, benzene, carbon monoxide, diacetyl, formaldehyde, industrial solvents/cleaners and pesticides.
- Defended international supplier of plastic polymer in multiple coordinated lawsuits alleging property damage and violation of California Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
- Defense of national specialty refrigerator manufacturer against claims of personal injury, property damage and breach of warranty.
Other Litigation Matters
- Defense of national transportation and retail industry clients in high exposure personal injury claims alleging traumatic brain injury.
- Defense of Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation as receiver for failed banking institutions in real estate litigation matters involving the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act.
- Defense of wage and hour class action claiming that regional restaurant franchise failed to adequately reimburse delivery drivers for mileage expenses.
- Defended developer of insurance industry product in claim of trade secret misappropriation.
- Defended member of LLC in $10 million breach of contract action brought by foreign manufacturer.
- Defended manufacturer of infant care products in breach of contract action alleging lost profits in excess of $30 million.
- Panel Moderator, "The Science of Implicit Bias and Impact of Micro-Aggressions in the Courtroom and Workplace" (June 2017).
- Author, “Warning: Regulations Likely On The Horizon – Adoption of proposed amendments to Prop. 65”, Oakland Business Review, Vol. XLI No. 10 (October 2015).
- Panel Moderator, "The Diverse Attorney Playbook for Success in the Sports Industry,” ACC Diversity & Inclusion Committee's 6th Annual Summer Cool Down Mixer (August 2015).
- Co-Author, “A Look at Diversity in the Workplace”, Oakland Business Review, Vol. XXXIX No. 9 (September 2013).
- Author, Trade Secrets and Non-Competes: A Compendium of State Law (California Chapter on Trade Secrets), Defense Research Institute (2012).
- Co-Author, Products Liability – Case Law Update 2010 (Ninth Circuit Chapter), Defense Research Institute (2010).
- Co-Author, Trade Secrets and Agreements Not to Compete: A State by State Compendium (California Chapter), Defense Research Institute (2008).
- Co-Author, “Good Diagnosis Gone Bad? Medical Causation and Differential Diagnosis”, ABA Newsletter, TortSource: A Publication of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Vol. 8, No. 4 (Summer 2006).
- Author, “Product Configuration Trade Dress and Abercrombie: Analysis of Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. v. Sangiacomo N.A. Ltd.”, 1 Minn. Intell. Prop. Rev. 183, 193 (2000).
- Co-Author, “HMG I/Y regulates long-range enhancer-dependent transcription on DNA and chromatin by changes in DNA topology”, Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 28, No. 13 2541-2550 (2000).
- Member of State Bar of California, the State Bar of Minnesota, and the Alameda County Bar Association
- Harmonie Group
- Client Alert: Toxic Torts
- California Trial Court Strikes Blow Against "Every Exposure" Theory In Asbestos Litigation
- Client Alert: New York Court Rejects "Any Exposure" Theory In Asbestos Litigation
- Client Alert: Toxic Tort Law Update